Thursday 6 December 2012

Compound nouns made with Some, Any and No

Compound nouns made with SOME, ANY and NO
Some +
-thing
-body
-one
-where
Any +
No +

Compound nouns with some- and any- are used in the same way as some and any.
Positive statements:
Examples
·         Someone is sleeping in my bed.
·         He saw something in the garden.
·         I left my glasses somewhere in the house.
Questions:
Examples
·         Are you looking for someone? (= I'm sure you are)
·         Have you lost something? (= I'm sure you have)
·         Is there anything to eat? (real question)
·         Did you go anywhere last night?
Negative statements:
Examples
·         She didn't go anywhere last night.
·         He doesn't know anybody here.
NOTICE that there is a difference in emphasis between nothing, nobody etc. and not ... anything, not ... anybody:
Examples
·         I don't know anything about it. (= neutral, no emphasis)
·         I know nothing about it (= more emphatic, maybe defensive)

SOMETHING, SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE
Examples
·         I have something to tell you.
·         There is something to drink in the fridge.
·         He knows somebody in New York
·         Susie has somebody staying with her.
·         They want to go somewhere hot for their holidays.
·         Keith is looking for somewhere to live.
ANYBODY, ANYTHING, ANYWHERE
Examples
·         Is there anybody who speaks English here?
·         Does anybody have the time?
·         Is there anything to eat?
·         Have you anything to say?
·         He doesn't have anything to stay tonight.
·         I wouldn't eat anything except at Maxim's.
NOBODY, NOTHING, NOWHERE
Examples
·         There is nobody in the house at the moment
·         When I arrived there was nobody to meet me.
·         I have learnt nothing since I began the course.
·         There is nothing to eat.
·         There is nowhere as beautiful as Paris in the Spring.
·         Homeless people have nowhere to go at night.
ANYcan also be used in positive statements to mean 'no matter which', 'no matter who', 'no matter what':
Examples
·         You can borrow any of my books.
·         They can choose anything from the menu.
·         You may invite anybodyto dinner, I don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment